The Geophysics and Lithospheric Structure Research Group is formed by 19 members (Professors, Researchers and Ph.D Students) directed and coordinated by the Prof. Javier Álvarez Pulgar. The Group is located at the Faculty of Geology (Oviedo, Asturias, SPAIN).
- Geophysics and Structural Geology methodologies to study the sub-soil: seismic reflection and refraction studies and potential field methods (gravity and magnetism), seismotectonics and seismic hazards, tectonic studies.
- Geotechnical characterization of the sub-soil: geophysical methods applied to engineering and exploration of natural resources
Main research lines...
- Geophysical and tectonic characterization of the continental lithosphere
- Geodynamic evolution of continental margins and associated marine sedimentary basins
- Regional seismicity, seismotectonics and seismic hazards
- Deformation processes in the crust: orogenic evolution, numerical modelling of geodynamical processes in basin formation and rising of mountain ranges
- Application of geophysical methods to environmental studies and natural resources; application of seismic methods to exploration and civil engineering.